The Plus Edition version of the newsletter is sent to every Plus Edition subscriber once a week. Usually it is on Sunday evenings although occasionally it will be on Monday. The process works well although not perfectly.
Based upon feedback from Plus Edition subscribers, I am guessing that about 95% to 98% of the email messages get delivered to the addressees. The other 2% to 5% get blocked by spam filters in the receiving email servers. Sadly, that is a very common for all individuals and companies that send a lot of email messages, especially if they are long messages. The longer the message, the more likely it will be blocked by spam filters.
The problem seems to be getting worse in the past few weeks. I am receiving more and more reports of non-delivery these days. Luckily, there is a simple solution.