One of my favorite gadgets is my iPAQ handheld computer. I keep this little powerhouse in my pocket most of the time. It keeps my personal calendar, phonebook, and a lot more in a much smaller and lighter electronic version of those "Day-Timer" books.
Best of all, I also keep a genealogy database of 3,000-plus people in the same handheld computer. That includes events, facts, notes, sources, repositories, addresses, and to-do lists. I use the Pocket Genealogist, which is capable of storing many more records than my modest 3,000 entries.
Pocket Genealogist version 2.90 has now been released. The biggest changes in this new version are:
• Support for full 2-way data synchronization with Version 5 of Legacy Family Tree. (Requires the Advanced version of Pocket Genealogist)
• Support for Family Tree Maker 2005
• The Pocket Genealogist GenBridge add-on now supports direct imports for Family Tree Maker. (requires the PAF/FTM GenBridge add-on available from Wholly Genes for an additional fee)
• Changes to the GEDCOM profiles to better control "Private Flag", Notes and Addresses per event. Some desktop genealogy programs support some or all of these elements although not necessarily for every event. These changes provide the ability to manage that situation. (The "profiles" allow control over the imports and exports, plus data entry on the device, which allows for a superior GEDCOM "experience" tailored to the originating desktop program)
• Better support of Family Tree Maker addresses.
• The repository list under "Master Lists" now can display all To Do's associated with a repository. (Applicable to Ancestral Quest, Family Origins, RootsMagic, and Legacy. TMG imports were already supported.)
• There is a new user's guide as well.
In addition, the following features were in earlier versions and are continued in version 2.90:
• You can add, edit or delete Individuals, Events. Notes, Facts, Sources, Repositories, Addresses, To Do lists and other data. Some features depend on the availability of that data from your desktop genealogy program. Pocket Genealogist has the MOST comprehensive data support of any handheld genealogy program.
• Export changes made on the device to a GEDCOM file for transfer back into your desktop program.
• There are three different "Views" available to navigate your data: 3-Generation, Ancestor Tree, or Descendant Tree.
• Up to 250,000 individuals per database. As many databases as space permits on your device.
• Find Individuals by Given name, Surname, or Location.
• Extensively tested for compatibility with popular desktop genealogy programs including Aldfaer, Ancestral Quest, Brother's Keeper, Family Historian, Family Origins, Family Tree Maker, Genbox Family History, Generations, Heredis, Legacy Family Tree, Personal Ancestral File, ProGen, RootsMagic, The Master Genealogist, Ultimate Family Tree, and others. Pocket Genealogist uses GEDCOM "profiles" which provides a far superior import of your GEDCOM data.
• Uses GEDCOM files, available with all desktop genealogy programs, for data transfers.
• Advanced Version Only: Reads The Master Genealogist databases directly using GenBridge(tm) by Wholly Genes Software. (No GEDCOM needed for import)
• Advanced Version Only: Includes a Backup utility for your Pocket Genealogist databases.
• Easy to use display
• Easy Installation
• Supports all connection types including Serial, USB, and WiFi.
• Detailed downloadable User Guide in Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word format.
• Professional-grade support
• Free program updates for all version 2 releases.
• Free trial before purchase. (fully functional except for limited Field Notes, data entry, Ancestor and Descendant Tree, and direct import of Legacy and TMG)
• Works with device memory or any type of storage card.
• Language Packs - French, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and Danish
• Designed to work with Windows Mobile devices such as the PocketPC (CE Version 2.11 or newer - devices manufactured since 1999)
• Fully compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP.
• Data entry of "Field Notes" with ability to view and print the notes on the desktop.
• Direct import of PAF or FTM databases using GenBridge (tm) technology by Wholly Genes Software. Requires purchase of GenBridge Add-on from Wholly Genes software
More information including a complete user guide can be found at http://www.pocketgenealogist.com