I am delighted to announce the addition of a new section to this newsletter: Announcements. The new section will include all sorts of press releases and announcements from genealogy vendors around the world.
There are many fine new genealogy-related products and services being offered by numerous companies and other organizations, but it is not possible for me to write articles about every one. Some are outside this newsletter's primary purposes: current events, genealogy-related technology, commentary, and various allied articles. By offering a dedicated section for such announcements, I am able to offer newsletter readers even more information about "what is going on in genealogy."
Some of the announcements obviously will be commercials for the products and services mentioned. By offering this as a separate section of the newsletter, each reader has the choice of whether or not to be exposed to such commercial content.
To read all the press releases and announcements, go to http://www.eogn.com and click on the link for "Announcements." Those who use RSS newsreaders can also automatically retrieve all new announcements by pointing their newsreader to http://eogn.typepad.com/announcements/rss.xml (that link will change before long to be http://eogn.com/announcements/rss.xml).
The following is addressed to all genealogy vendors who are interested in posting announcements to this new service:
- The new Announcements section will accept genealogy-related, history-related, and similar announcements from commercial companies, non-profit organizations, and sole proprietorship commercial endeavors alike.
- All announcements must be related to products or services that serve the genealogy marketplace.
- Announcements should be written as press releases, not as advertisements. For a definition of a press release, look at http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-press-releases.htm
- All announcements should describe NEW services or products of interest to genealogists. Thinly-veiled advertisements about "this week's specials" and similar content will be rejected.
- Vendors are advised to not "flood" the Announcements section with what I will call "trivial announcements" that publicize very minor changes in products or services. For instance, if your company releases a new software upgrade, going from release 2.1.4 to 2.1.5, that probably does not warrant a new announcement. However, an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 may warrant such a press release. "Trivial announcements" will not be published in the new section. I reserve the right to determine what constitutes a "trivial announcement."
- All announcements should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no charge for this service, although that may change in the future upon thirty days' notice.
- These guidelines may change in the future.
All comments and suggestions are welcome!