Genealogy Pro 2.0 for Macintosh is a low cost ($20.00 U.S.) commercial genealogy application that provides an easy-to-use graphical interface to record and chart your family tree. The program has been available for some time, but a new and improved version is now available
Genealogy Pro 2.0 is now a Macintosh OS X genealogy application. Earlier versions of Genealogy Pro were written for pre-OS X versions of the Macintosh operating system. The new version requires Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later.
Genealogy Pro is a simpler program than the more expensive Macintosh software available today. However, it will suffice for many casual genealogists. Those who are "serious" may find it a bit limited, however. The program includes:
- Easy to use graphical interface, including a browser to list all individuals in the database and a browser to view families.
- Easy creation of sophisticated family tree charts. Chart types include horizontal and vertical ancestor charts, and horizontal and vertical descendant (pedigree) charts.
- A range of charting options including options for fields to include in a chart, order of fields in a chart, line and font size and style, inclusion of images.
- An expandable database that allows creation of custom fields.
- Search facility.
- Facility of storing notes and source citations for individuals.
- Function to export family tree data into a web ready format, including options to compress and upload charts and other images. Web charts are formatted as image maps, allowing you to click on a person in your web browser to see the information for that person.
- An upload manager (available as a separate free download) to automatically upload files to your web site.
- GEDCOM compatibility, allowing import and export of genealogy data with other genealogy programs.
Genealogy Pro for Macintosh OS X version 2.0 is available as a free download for an evaluation period of 30 days. This is a fully functional copy of Genealogy Pro. To use the application after the evaluation period expires, you will need to purchase a registration key.
For more information or to download the 30-day evaluation copy, go to http://www.genealogypro.net