When neighbors in Port Orange, Florida heard the pops, they thought Linda Sue Anderson was shooting off fireworks again. The 54-year-old Gregory Circle resident was known for her erratic behavior. Neighbors said she was "unbalanced."
Even when some peeked outside their homes and saw Anderson holding what looked like a gun, no one suspected what police would later tell them: that Anderson had apparently shot and killed Robert F. and Shirley B. Goerlich.
Anderson would later tell Port Orange police: "I hate them . . . they have been torturing me . . . they make me cookies with green mothballs in them and I get sick." The woman was described by neighbors as having "some sort of mental problems." When arrested, she kicked out a window in the squad car that was to carry her to the police station.
Linda Sue Anderson, 54, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the couple's deaths. Anderson remains in jail without bail, according to officials from the Volusia County Branch Jail in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Shirley B. Goerlich was a well-known genealogist. She and her husband lived in Unadilla, New York. Following their retirement, they spent winters in Florida and summers in Unadilla. Shirley Boyce Goerlich was the author, editor or transcriber of many books, including:
- Genealogy : A Practical Research Guide
- History of Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
- History of West Unadilla : Otsego County, New York : Riverside Route 7, northwest Unadilla and the business district of adjacent Sidney, NY (Delaware County)
- East Guilford (New York) Cemetery
- New York State census, town of Guilford, Chenango County, New York
- Delaware County, New York : raw materials from the past
- Etched in stone in Sidney, Delaware County, New York
- Masonville, Delaware County, New York : early records from the past
- Military service roster, Civil War, Town of Masonville, Delaware County, New York
- U.S. Federal/New York State census, Town of Sidney, Delaware County, New York, 1850
- Military service roster, Civil War, Town of Franklin, Delaware County, New York
- At rest in Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
- New York State census, Town of Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
- Guest register, the Unadilla House : January 1888 to September 1890, Unadilla, Otsego County, New York
- Town of Guilford, Chenango County, New York: burial grounds and cemeteries
She also wrote a column for the Daily Star of Unadilla, NY.
You can read more about the murders here.