The following is an announcement from Barbara Proko, Janice Baniukiewicz Stickles, and the Women's Guild of Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish, Worcester, Massachusetts:
If there's a vintage photo of a Central Massachusetts Polish picnic in your family album, it could help tell the story of Worcester County Polonia in a groundbreaking new book.
"Worcester County's Polish Community," scheduled for fall 2007 release by Arcadia Publishing, will be the first book ever to document the heritage and history shared by thousands of Polish Americans in the areas of Clinton, Dudley, Gardner, Gilbertville, South Grafton, Southbridge, Uxbridge, Webster, West Warren, and Worcester, Massachusetts.
Coauthors Barbara Proko, Janice Baniukiewicz Stickles, and the Women's Guild of Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish, Worcester, are soliciting materials to borrow for the photo history, which they envision as a "community family album" for Central Massachusetts Polonia.
Vintage photos, documents, postcards, ads, event programs, and jubilee booklets will all play a part in telling the story. The book will encompass all aspects of local Polish family, parish, business, school, athletic, military, political, social and cultural life from the 1860s forward.
Upcoming collection sessions are scheduled as follows:
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday, July 21--Uxbridge Free Public Library (Thayer Memorial Building), 15 North Main St., Uxbridge.
- 1-4 p.m., Saturday, July 22--Barnes & Noble, The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley, 70 Worcester Providence Turnpike (Routes 146 & 122A), Millbury.
- 8 a.m.-noon, Sunday, July 23--Our Lady of Czestochowa Church, 34 Ward St., Worcester.
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, July 29--Chester C. Corbin Public Library, 2 Lake St., Webster.
- 3-5 p.m., Saturday, July 29--St. Andrew Bobola Church, 54 West Main St., Dudley.
- * 8 a.m.-noon, Sunday, July 30--St. Joseph Basilica, 53 Whitcomb St., Webster.
The final opportunity to submit materials will be Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at the annual fall festival of Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish, 34 Ward St., Worcester.
All materials will be returned, and all donors will be acknowledged in the book.
For more information, contact Barbara Proko at (860) 223-0887 or firstname.lastname@example.org.