The following is an announcement from GenMates. I have not yet had an opportunity to review this new service but thought you might be interested in the announcement:
Manchester, UK July 27, 2006 -- July 2006 sees the launch of GenMates, which is a social networking site for genealogists and those interested in family, garden and home areas.
Genealogists are great networkers, as the many forums that cater to them demonstrate. With the launch of GenMates they now have the opportunity to take their genealogy and family research to the next level.
With GenMates, they can make new friends around the world, share their research, and seek help from other genealogists, but also they can do so much more.
With the launch of GenMates they can:
- Write a blog and publicise their genealogy research with their unique blog link
- Create their own groups or forums to bring people with common interests together. This includes being able to set up forums specifically for those researching the same names
- Promote events and obtain information on forthcoming events
- Get special discounts from our professional/business members
- Sell personal items to other users
- and much, much more......
Paul Duxbury, the co-founder of GenMates, commented recently that “Some genealogists have referred to GenMates as the Genealogy MySpace Alternative because of the fantastic range of services we provide and, best of all, they are all free to ordinary members!”
GenMates is available at http://www.genmates.com.