Northern Hills Software has announced the release of a new version of the Pocket Genealogist, a popular genealogy program for Windows Mobile handheld computers, including Smartphones (cell phones with built in handheld computers). You can read my earlier review of the program at http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2006/07/pocket_genealog.html and at http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2007/07/pocket-genealog.html.
Pocket Genealogist version 3.11 has added support for Family Tree Maker 2008, along with several other enhancements and bug fixes:
- Ancestor and Descendant Tree Views now work better with regards to adding individuals to the "History List".
- Ancestor and Descendant Tree View buttons will "highlight" depending on which view is selected. (button will have a yellow background when "highlighted") This helps determine which tree view is in use.
- Fix to "Find by Relationship" button and the Relationship calculator so that it honors what is selected on the 3-gen, Individual or Tree views.
- Family Historian: Fix to GEDCOM export for Research List notes.
- Fix to relationship calculator to process a full 10 generations.
- Change to 3-generation screen to show the complete given name IF 2 line display. (Name on one line, dates on another... for example PocketPC Landscape mode)
- Smartphones: Fix to Individual and Tree Views to work properly when switching to another program and back to Pocket Genealogist.
- Smartphones: Fix to properly translate menu for tree views.
- Smartphones: Change to allow "back" button to operate as a "backspace" when on an edit field. (Motorola Q for example does not have a backspace button)
- Allow install on Windows 98 and ME, but no guarantee Pocket Genealogist will work properly on those systems.
- Initial support for Family Tree Maker 2008 imports (using GEDCOM). The PAF/FTM add-on does not yet work with FTM 2008 but that will probably be added in a future release.
The new version is available as a free update for Version 3 purchasers.
More information may be found at http://www.northernhillssoftware.com/download.htm.