Synium Software has released a fully functional public beta of the company's latest version of its flagship product, MacFamilyTree. Mac users can download the new beta release as a free demo. The new version adds fan charts and a media browser and has been substantially improved in media handling, diagramming, and editing of genealogy data.
The company's announcement states that fan charts were among the most frequently requested features. The new release adds fully configurable charts that are easy to edit. Standard settings give you quick results, while you may still fit the fan charts to your needs with just a few clicks.
The new update to version 5.1 of MacFamilyTree also gains a media browser, where you can browse and access all pictures available in your family tree. The new Edit Mode "Media Browser" serves as a centralized picture gallery.
New and enhanced features include:
New - Fan Chart:
- Fully editable, as are all charts and reports in MacFamilyTree 5.
- Flexibly and interactively set the number of generations.
- Adjustable fan angle from 90 to 360 degrees; cell size automatically increases to accommodate information for more distant generations, too.
- Autocoloring of generations for quick results; colors and styles can be manually adjusted.
- Black & white mode for printer-friendly output included.
New - Media Browser:
- Centralized picture gallery to display essential information on media items (media title, person name, date of birth).
- Gives quick access to all pictures in the database.
- The Media Browser also works as an entry point to rapidly edit individuals with linked media.
Much-improved graphical user interface (GUI):
- Media can be browsed directly in the Persons, Families, Sources, and Events Edit Mode.
- Direct access to Kekule numbering (ahnentafel numbering) via main window.
- Improved Auto-Zoom and Fit-to-Screen for charts and improved list views.
- Many contextual menus added for quick-access of frequently used functions with your mouse (right mouse button/CTRL-click).
- GUI: many usability improvements including Drag'n'Drop support.
- Now also includes Spanish localization.
- Performance enhancements.
- Some minor issues fixed.
- US English, Finnish, French, Italian, German and Spanish.
- Many other language versions are due to be released as subsequent free updates.
MacFamilyTree 5 requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or higher, a PPC Macintosh with 512 megabytes of RAM (1024 recommended), ATI Radeon 7500 or NVidia GeForce 4 MX graphics chipset or better, and a minimum of 16 megabytes of video memory. All Macintosh computers with Intel processors and Intel's GMA 950 graphics chipset or better are supported. MacFamilyTree 5 is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Pricing and Availability:
MacFamilyTree 5 can be purchased for $49.00 US. Present MacFamilyTree users may upgrade to the new release for $25 US. For customers who purchased MacFamilyTree 4 on or after August 14th, 2007, the upgrade to MacFamilyTree 5 is free. A free demo version is also available for download.
More information about MacFamilyTree 5 as well as the free demo download may be found at http://www.synium.de/products/macfamilytree. The same web site has many screen shots showing the program in operation.