A new, free web site caught my eye his week: ItRunsInMyFamily.com. The site is subtitled, "Using family history to improve your health." I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the services available at this free web site. I am in a hotel room in Salt Lake City right now and do not have all my records and family health information with me. However, I plan to spend more time on this service as soon as I return home.
Quoting from the web site:
ItRunsInMyFamily.com is for you. You are the ultimate steward of your own health. We believe that giving you more power and control over your own health information will lead to better health outcomes. We believe that by helping you create your own family health history, we are empowering you to look inside your own genome and discover potential health risks before they occur. Our goal is to help you improve the quality of your life through family health history.
ItRunsInMyFamily.com is an open-access tool created and developed by SGgenomics, Inc. a privately held corporation that funds and develops innovative genetic & health based ideas. We encourage and invite everyone to use our family health history tool without cost or obligation. Tell your friends, family, patients, and colleagues that this service is available for all to use.
The online Family Health History Tool allows people to create a comprehensive family health history report that can be used by a healthcare professional. It is capable of charting complex family relationships and storing pertinent family health information in standardized pedigree nomenclature. It will reduce the amount of time that doctors and other health professionals spend in collecting data, thereby allowing for more time to be spent in evaluation and defining treatment.
The ItRunsInMyFamily.com Family Health History Tool v1.0 and website features:
• Patent-pending pedigree-first design and features
• Adheres to Standardized Human Pedigree Nomenclature
• Follows the family health history core-data set recommendations established by the American Health Information Community (AHIC).
• 12 selectable diseases include: Heart Disease, Stroke, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Type II Diabetes, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer, and Osteoporosis.
• ‘Other’ option to enter any disease, condition, or trait
• 5 generation/3rd degree relative family member pedigree
• Unique family relationships (adoptions, half-sibs, pregnancy, etc)
• Fully editable personal and health information
• Health summary module
• Pedigree Assistant to assist user
• Linkup and automatically share info with family members*
• Save and store with login accessibility
• Print or E-mail family health history report
• EHR, EMR, PHR interoperability available with licensing
• Customizable tool features available with licensing
• Adobe Flash 9.0 platform
• Zoom in/zoom out, pan, expand screen capabilities
• Change proband
• Disease information available for selectable diseases
• Prevention Techniques
• Family Health History Guide
• ‘How to’ videos
• Frequently Asked Questions
• Personal information protected with SSL, firewall, data encryption, HIPAA compliant hosting
For more information, go to http://www.ItRunsInMyFamily.com. You might also want to check the introductory video at the web site. The same video is available at http://rootstelevision.com/players/player_rootsliving.php?bctid=4887219001 and at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0FKiuzV5s.