Family Historian is a very popular Windows genealogy program produced in the U.K. but with users all over the world. Now Calico Pie Limited has released Version 4 of the program. It is available right now as a download on the company's web site and UK resellers will receive boxed sets of the product this week. Resellers in other countries will be receiving boxes shortly.
Family Historian 4 will, when installed, automatically detect and upgrade any previous versions of Family Historian you may have installed. Customers who purchased a licence for the download version of version 3 since November 26th 2008, will be emailed a link for a free upgrade to version 4.
As an extra bonus, each boxed copy of Family Historian 4 comes with a 30-day subscription to WorldVitalRecords.com.
New features in version 4 include:
- A new hub component window called the “Focus Window”, with views for spouses & children, parents & siblings, ancestors and descendants. It is designed to make adding relatives and moving around a family tree, completely intuitive and easy.
- The main ‘Property Box’ (for data entry) has been reworked so that it too is now easier than ever to use. Users can configure its appearance, customize it, move it, resize it, or ‘dock’ it to the side of the application window.
- Project management capability has been added. The program automatically looks after all your project files for you (including picture files and other multimedia, saved charts and more) in a dedicated folder on your hard disk.
- Multi-level undo/redo lets you make changes in confidence, knowing that if you make a mistake you can easily undo it (this is the most voted-for feature on users’ wish lists).
- Full support for same sex relationships has been added.
- Support for multimedia, and especially pictures, has been significantly enhanced. Thumbnail views have been added to make browsing pictures easy. You can now link pictures to events and attributes. Adding pictures and multimedia is easier than ever, as is browsing all the pictures in your project - thanks to extensive filtering options, including keyword filtering, in the Multimedia Window. Support for pictures has been improved in reports, and there is an all-new multimedia report.
- Charts, reports and queries can all now be saved in PDF format. With charts, you also have the option of saving the entire chart as a one-page PDF file.
- Extensive power-user features have been added, giving power-users much greater scope to extend and customize the program than ever before. Ordinary users can also benefit through the ability to download program extensions written by power users, from Family Historian user websites (e.g. www.fhug.org.uk).
- Enhancements to charts and diagrams.
- Improved support for website generation and for family tree CD creation.
- … and much more.
You can read more at: http://www.family-historian.co.uk.