The Mormon meeting house outside Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts was gutted by fire on Sunday. The building housed a local Family History Center that served Boston and surrounding towns. The fire was accidental, said John J. Gelinas, chief of operations for the Cambridge Fire Department.
The fire, which started in an attic during services Sunday morning at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, burned for more than two hours and caused an estimated $1.9 million in damage. About 350 Mormons from three congregations were inside the church, watching a satellite broadcast of a major conference taking place in Salt Lake City, when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported.
The building, including the Family History Center, is now closed indefinitely. The public is invited to visit the nearby Belmont, Massachusetts Family History Center