The Georgia Historical Society will turn its reading room into a classroom this summer as it presents courses on genealogy, oral history, the Civil War, influential Savannah women and other subjects.
Schedule of classes
- Basic Preservation for Your Family Treasures. June 8 and July 20, 10 a.m.-noon. $75.
- Transforming the Bully Pulpit: American Presidents in the 20th Century. June 15-19, 10 a.m.-11 a.m. $125.
- Decisive Battles of the Civil War. June 22-26, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. $125.
- Introduction to Genealogical Research. June 29, July 13 and Aug. 24, 10 a.m.-noon. $50.
- Savannah Women: A Downtown Walking Tour. July 27 and Aug. 10, 9 a.m.-11 a.m. $20.
- The Gardens of Clermont Lee: A Downtown Walking Tour. July 30 and Aug. 13, 9 a.m.- 11 a.m. $20.
- Civil War Leadership. Aug. 3-7, 10 a.m.- 11:30 a.m. $125.
- Oral History: Getting Started. Aug. 17, 10 a.m.-11 a.m. $35.
- Oral History: It's Recorded, Now What? Aug. 20, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. $35.
All classes will be held at 501 Whitaker St., and the walking tours will start from there. Call 912-651-2125, ext. 40, or go to http://www.georgiahistory.com to make reservations. All courses are open to the public. GHS members will receive a 10 percent discount.