Planets, Preservation and Long-term Access through Networked Services, is a four-year project co-funded by the European Union under the Sixth Framework Programme to address core digital preservation challenges. The primary goal for Planets is to build practical services and tools to help ensure long-term access to our digital cultural and scientific assets.
Planets started on 1st June 2006. This website makes available project documentations and deliverables as Planets progresses so that these can be shared with the libraries, archives and digital preservation community.
The strong Planets consortium brings together expertise across Europe from national libraries and archives, leading research universities and technology companies. Coordinated by the British Library, the partners are:
Other digital preservation projects funded under the IS&T FP6 Programme include CASPAR and DPE.
- The British Library
- The National Library of the Netherlands
- Austrian National Library
- The Royal Library of Denmark
- State and University Library, Denmark
- The National Archives of the Netherlands
- The National Archives of England, Wales and the United Kingdom
- Swiss Federal Archives
- University of Cologne
- University of Freiburg
- HATII at the University of Glasgow
- Vienna University of Technology
- The Austrian Institute of Technology
- IBM Netherlands
- Microsoft Research Limited
- Tessella Support Services Plc
You can read more at http://www.planets-project.eu/.