The International Society of Family History Writers and Editors is sponsoring its annual "Excellence in Writing" competition to recognize excellence in genealogical columns and articles. For the first time this contest is open to members and non- members of ISFHWE, both published and unpublished authors.
Members of ISFHWE will receive an entry fee discount. (Entrants may join ISFHWE at the time they submit their competition entries.) The contest is judged by professionals in the fields of genealogy and journalism. The contest has five categories:
Winners in each category will be awarded a cash prize and a certificate. The awards presentation will take place at the Gala ISFHWE Awards Banquet to be held at the National Genealogical Society conference in Charleston, SC, on 11 May 2011. (Those unable to attend will receive their awards after the conference.)
- Category I - Columns. This is for columns published on a regular basis, in any medium, published in 2010. Entries must be shorter than 1,000 words.
- Category II - Articles. These articles must have been published in 2010 in a journal, magazine, newsletter, or web site. Entries cannot exceed 5,000 words.
- Category III - Genealogy Research Story. This category is for original, unpublished articles between 1,000 and 3,000 words. The articles should focus on telling the story of genealogical research using one of these topics: "The Search for <ancestor's name or nickname>," "Sorting Out the Entangled Roots of., (ancestors name " or " Encounters with a Family Skeleton."
- Category IV - Want-to-be Writer/Columnist. Entrants in this category aspire to be writers or columnists in the field of genealogy/family or local history. The submissions in this category are original and unpublished, between 500 and 1,000 words.
- Category V – Unpublished material by published author. This category is for original article by previously published authors. The subject should be genealogically-related but NOT one of the subjects in Category III. Entries should be between 500 and 3,000 words.
The entry form may be found at: http://isfhwe.org. This year's contest coordinator and judges are ineligible, as are last year's first-place winners in their winning category.
The contest will begin 1 October 2010. There is a discount on the entry fee for submission before 30 November 2010. Entries must be received by the coordinator no later than 31 December 2010. Entries must be mailed in time to make this deadline. Send entries, along with your check for the appropriate entry fee(s) and membership dues to receive the discount, to:
Yolanda Campbell Lifter
ISFHWE Contest Coordinator
1920 Eva Lane Malabar, FL 32950-3219
Questions? Contact Yolanda at firstname.lastname@example.org.