What happens to all your genealogy data when your hard drive crashes? (Note that I wrote "WHEN your hard drive crashes," not IF it crashes. All hard drives will crash sooner or later.)
All genealogy data needs to be backed up frequently. A new online backup service will do just that: make frequent backups and store those backups off-site for safety purposes. Best of all, the service is available FREE of charge. Please note that it works with many Windows genealogy programs, although not all of them.
The following announcement was written by BackupMyTree LLC:
BackupMyTree (www.backupmytree.com), a new service offering free and automatic backup of family trees, launches today. BackupMyTree enables worry-free research for genealogists and family history enthusiasts, preventing loss of years of work due to a computer disaster such as a virus or hard disk crash. By automatically finding family tree files and creating a remote, off-site backup, BackupMyTree’s software ensures complete protection of family tree data.
The free backup service provides:
BackupMyTree is the creation of Cliff Shaw, whose previous successes in genealogy include GenForum, Family Tree Legends and GenCircles.
- Support for a wide array of family tree file formats created by popular family tree software packages - Family Tree Maker, Family Tree Builder, PAF, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic (version 4 or later), and Family Tree Legends. Industry standard GEDCOM files are supported too.
- Anywhere access of family tree files – users can access their family tree files securely from anywhere using a web browser.
- Monitoring of all family trees for changes and automatic backup of the updated files.
- Storage of previous versions of family tree files should anything become corrupted. This feature also protects against accidental deletion of information inside a family tree – enabling users to retrieve any previous version of their data.
- Instant retrieval in case of data loss - by simply re-downloading the latest family tree backups.
- Complete protection of all family tree files using strong SSL security during transfer from computers to the BackupMyTree servers.
“BackupMyTree represents my continued deep commitment to develop innovative new technologies and services for genealogists”, said BackupMyTree’s Founder and CEO, Cliff Shaw. “A family tree contains massive amounts of data collected over many years - often irreplaceable and simply priceless to its owner. Our free backup service gives genealogists peace of mind that all their family tree files are safe and secure. We’re delighted to be filling the gap in the genealogy market in helping preserve family history forever.”
About BackupMyTree LLC
Founded by serial genealogy entrepreneur Cliff Shaw, BackupMyTree LLC are the makers of the world's first free and automatic backup service, www.backupmytree.com, for storing and protecting family trees. The service provides genealogists with peace of mind that their family tree data is protected from a computer disaster or accidental data deletion, and secured by a remote, off-site backup. Compatible with all the major genealogy applications, www.backupmytree.com offers anywhere access and secure retrieval of current and previous versions of family trees. For further information visit www.backupmytree.com