I'm a fan of DropBox, a program that copies files between computers and keeps them in sync. If a change is made to one file, the new version is automatically copied to the other computers. It is a great way to back up, sync, and access files from anywhere.
DropBox has a major competitor, called SugarSync. I have looked at SugarSync in the past but didn't see anything in it that was so compelling as to make me switch from a program I already like. However, today SugarSync released an upgrade for iPhone, IPod Touch, and iPad devices with several new features that makes the program more enticing than ever. I might even switch.
The new features of SugarSync on iOS (Apple) handhelds include:
- Send large files from your device: The new app lets you generate SugarSync links, which enable you to send files without bulky attachments from within the mobile app. You can also easily copy those links and send via any external program (email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Sharing multiple files and folders at once: Just like on your computer, SugarSync’s iOS app now lets you select as many files/folders as you want all at once, so you can share more, quicker.
- Integration with your contacts: SugarSync’s new app now integrates with your contact list on your phone or iPad for quicker, easier sharing via your native email client.
- Manage your files/folders on the go: You can now organize, move and delete your folders from the app, giving you the ability to manage files and folders on the go. It’s like a remote control for you computers.
- Streaming music as you multi-task: You can now stream music to your iOS device through SugarSync while you do other things on your iOS device.
SugarSync also works with Android, Symbian, BlackBerry, and Windows Mobile handheld devices, as well as with Windows, Macintosh, and Linux desktop and laptop systems.
The free SugarSync for iOS app is available now and can be downloaded online at http://www.sugarsync.com/downloads/index.html#mobile or in the iTunes App Store. SugarSync offers a free 5 gigabyte version of their full service, with 30 gigabyte plans starting from $4.99/month. You can learn more at https://www.sugarsync.com/