Library officials gathering to discuss earthquake safety had to flee a central Indiana library when another force of nature - lightning - set the building on fire.
The Indianapolis Star reports that about 40 patrons and 25 employees were evacuated from the Hancock County Public Library in Greenfield around noon Tuesday after lightning apparently struck the roof and sparked a fire. At the time, library administrators were gathering to discuss Tuesday's earthquake drills at Indiana's public schools as part of the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut.
Library Director Dianne Osborne tells The Indianapolis Star the library was closed for the day after the lightning hit the roof. Osborne says firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to put out the fire.
Staff covered the books with tarps to protect them from water damage.
You can read more in the Indianapolis Star at http://goo.gl/j9Er9
If you enjoyed this article, please Tweet it, share it on Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you can join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.