GEDitCOM II is a genealogy application for Macintosh OS X that allows easy editing of genealogy files as well as many additional capabilities. If you have had compatibility problems using GEDCOM files to transfer data between different genealogy programs, GEDitCOM II may solve the problem. The program also allows the user to export part or all of a GEDCOM file. Perhaps you received a large GEDCOM file from a distant cousin that contains information about thousands of people and yet you only need one "branch" of that family tree. GEDitCOM II will "prune the tree" for you. The same program will also merge two or more GEDCOM files together.
For an explanation of GEDCOM files, see my earlier article, GEDCOM Explained, at http://goo.gl/0kEMJ
GEDitCOM II also provides many other features, including:
- Add pictures, sounds, movies - and any file type to a GEDCOM file.
- Share multimedia with iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie.
- Create an entire web site from a GEDCOM file or multiple GECOM files.
- Allow for global search and replace of any text within the GEDCOM file. For instance, you can change all occurrences of "NY" to "New York."
- GEDCOM validation tool - look for errors that do not conform to the GEDCOM standard.
- Use html elements in notes, including embedded maps
- Create all sorts of charts, including:
- Ancestor and descendant family tree charts
- Portraits in charts
- Charts synchronized with text
- Expand and contract chart branches
- Charts scalable for viewing or printing
- Many types of text reports
- Print reports
- Create a genealogy book using LaTeX
- And more.
Version 1.6 adds:
- Python Modules - a powerful feature of Python is its abilty to use modules that contain libraries of useful functions and classes. You can write your own modules or download those written by others.
- Two new and advanced scripts:
- Computer assisted merge of records.
- Creation of a complete book using LaTeX.
- Scripting Support
- Whenever you link to a new multimedia file that is not in a multimedia library folder, you will be offered the option to move or copy the file into a library folder.
- The Relationship panel was improved to find more unique relationships.
- A new home records submenu lets to assign up to 11 home records, all with keyboard equivalents (the old shift-command-H and now control-0 to control 9 as well).
- And more.
GEDitCOM II works on any PowerPC or Intel Macintosh running Macintosh OS X 10.4 or later. However, anyone using Apple's new Lion release will want to first read the information at http://www.geditcom.com/GCDown.html#lion.
GEDitCOM II sells for $64.99 and is available at http://www.geditcom.com/.
Users of previous versions can purchase an upgrade for $19.99.
If you enjoyed this article, Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.