I wrote earlier about a new web site called BillionGraves.com at http://goo.gl/jeAad. At that time, the service was designed for use with Apple iPhones. Now version 2.0 of the application has been released. Best of all, it now works with both Apple's iOS operating system and with Android.
BillionGraves allows you to:
- Collect photos of the headstones in your local cemetery with our iPhone camera app. Then upload the mapped-out photos here.
- Transcribe information from uploaded headstone photos - then descendants everywhere can easily search for their ancestors.
- Search for your ancestors' graves using our easy search. You can access their headstone records, photos of headstones, and accurate locations of all the graves.
Version 2.0 adds several new features and fixes, according to the BillionGraves.com web site:
Simple New Design
Support for iPad and Android tablets
- An all new simplified design makes it much easier to use. The new layout looks great in both portrait and landscape views, and runs faster than ever!
- BillionGraves 2.0 is available to use on your iPad. You can search records, view nearby cemeteries and check on your upload stats. Picture taking capability only available on 3G/GPS enabled iPads.
- The update also runs on all Android tablet devices with all the features that run on standard Android devices. Picture taking capability only available on GPS enabled devices.
Facebook and Twitter
- BillionGraves 2.0 now features a favorites list in the Records View where you can store and save record information of your ancestors, family members, or other records that are important to you.
- The favorites list allows you to easily access gravestone record information.
- You can now easily share all of your exciting BillionGraves activity with your friends when you check-in to a cemetery or upload images.
- You may have noticed there are quite a few headstones with more than one side. In the BillionGraves camera you will now find that there is a link button that allows you to connect multiple images of the same headstone.
- Just take the first picture, press the "link" button and take the next picture, press the "link" button again for other sides if necessary.
- BillionGraves for the iPhone and iPad now supports 3 different languages. English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Uploading issues, "Force Quit" problems, and a few other minor bugs have been fixed.
The BillionGraves apps are available in the iPhone, iPad, and Android app stores. The web site is available at http://www.billiongraves.com/
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.