The 1940 U.S. Census data and enumeration district maps will be released on April 2, 2012 and you can have your own, personal copy! You can purchase the entire set for "only" $200,000 in digital form. If you prefer microfilm, it will set you back $580,750. However, you can purchase individuals states for much less.
NOTE: It is important to note that the National Archives and Records Administration will also be hosting all 18+ terabytes of data online, free of charge, for viewing and download. I would not suggest downloading 18 terabytes of data, however.
The following was published by the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration:
The National Archives Trust Fund is taking pre-orders for the 1940 Census data and enumeration district maps on hard-drives and hard-drive arrays. We will also be offering microfilm copies, starting April 2, 2012, of the 1940 Census data and enumeration district maps.
It is important to note that the National Archives and Records Administration will also be hosting all 18+ terabytes of data online, free of charge, for viewing and download.
Prices for microfilm and digitized copies are listed below. A printable version is found after the table. Digitized copies will be available via pre-order. Microfilm copies will be available for order on April 2, 2012. Currently, microfilm is $125 per roll.
April 2, 2012 is the date the 1940 Census data is to be released to the public. You may sort the data below by clicking on the headers. A printable version can be found below.
Click here for a printable version of the above table (sorted by state and by price).
Want the 1940 Census digitally?
The National Archives Trust Fund is taking pre-orders for the digitized 1940 Census data and enumeration district maps.
The entire digitized 1940 Census will be provided on Cru DataPort hard-drive arrays; the device will have 24TB of storage space. State Census data will be provided on single Seagate portable hard-drives. All hardware will be covered by manufacturers' warranties. More information can be found at www.cru-dataport.com and at www.seagate.com.
Any entire digitized 1940 Census ordered prior to November 1, 2011 can be picked up at the National Archives and Records Administration Building in College Park, MD at 12:01 AM April 2, 2012. Please call 301-837-2963 for more details on this offer or to schedule a pick-up. All other pre-orders received prior to November 1, 2011 will be sent UPS Next Day Air on April 2, 2012.
You can download the order form here.
Sample Completed Forms
Want the 1940 Census on microfilm?
1940 Census microfilm will be available for order on April 2, 2012, not before.
A finding aid for the 1940 Census microfilm can he found here.
We will provide a link to NARA's microfilm order form on April 2, 2012.
The 1940 Census publications are as follows:
A3378 - Enumeration District Maps for the 12th Through 16th Censuses of the United States, 1900-1940
T1224 - Descriptions of Census Enumeration Districts, 1830-1890 and 1910-1950
T627 - Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940
Want the 1940 Census for free?
The 1940 census will be available for free here on April 2, 2012.
Terms and Conditions
- All NARA reproductions contain the best available images of the original archival documents. Due to age, physical deterioration and equipment available at the time the original documents were imaged, some images may not be up to today's standards of clarity. NARA makes every effort to provide customers a clear and accurate duplicate of the originals.
- Shipping and insurance are included in the price.
- Prices are subject to change. For current pricing information, visit www.archives.gov.
- 1940 Census microfilm will be available on April 2, 2012.
- For entire digitized 1940 Census credit card orders, you will be charged a $10,000 non-refundable deposit upon receipt of your order. The remainder of the balance ($190,000) will be charged prior to your order being shipped. If your credit card is declined during the deposit stage, you will be contacted (your order will not be processed). If your credit card is declined during balance payment, your order will not be shipped. For all other orders, you will be charged for the entire amount upon receipt of order.
- If paying via credit card, please enter the Card Validation Code in the space provided on the form. For Master Card, Visa and Discover, this is a three digit code found on the back of the card. For American Express this is a four digit code printed on the front of the card.
- If paying via check or money order, please send checks to National Archives Trust Fund, Cashier, 1940 Census Order, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001. For Entire 1940 Census orders, your $10,000 non-refundable deposit will be cashed upon receipt of your order. You will receive notification to pay the remaining balance ($190,000) once your order has been fulfilled. Shipping of your order will take place after payment is verified. For all other orders, your check will be cashed when received; shipment will leave April 2, 2012.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.