You may be familiar with the web site WolframAlpha. It provides a "computational knowledge engine" with an English-language user interface that is quite popular. With Wolfram-Alpha, you can find answers to such questions as "weather London June 29, 1977" (answer: 54 to 68°F, rain, overcast, cloudy, relative humidity 46 to 94%m wind speed 4 to 14 mph) or "my great great grandfather's great grandson" (Answer: second cousin once removed).
Wolfram now has an application for the iPhone and related iOS devices called the Genealogy Research and History Assistant. It provides answers to questions you can investigate about your ancestors, such as:
- Were their names common at that time?
- What happened on their birthdays?
- What was the weather like on your grandparents' wedding day?
- What were the towns they lived in like, including demographics, and how far are they from where you live?
- What was 20 dollars worth the year your great-grandmother was born?
- What is the technical relationship between you and your grandfather's sister?
The Wolfram Genealogy Research Assistant is available for $4.99 in the iPhone App store.
You can find more information at http://products.wolframalpha.com/personalapps/genealogyhistory.html
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.