The following announcement was written by the Massachusetts Genealogical Council (MGC):
Call For Papers
Massachusetts Genealogical Council
Ethnicity and Genealogy
The Massachusetts Genealogical Council announces a call for lecture proposals for the Annual Seminar to be held 21 July 2012 at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts.
MGC was founded in 1980 and has been dedicated to serving the state’s genealogical and historical community ever since. The Council’s stated purposes are: to act as advocates in monitoring legislation and administrative activities of government agencies that affect genealogists; to sponsor and present legislation and programs designed to expand the resources and accessibility to services; to develop and promote the growth, education and exchange of ideas among persons and organizations interested in the pursuit of genealogy; and to provide other activities to advance genealogy. The MGC Annual Seminar draws attendees of all experience levels.
The theme for this seminar will be “Ethnicity and Genealogy”. This will involve the migration and genealogical history of different ethnic groups in the United States. We encourage the submission of beginner to advanced level presentations.
Presentations are 60 minutes in length, including a 10-minute question-and-answer period.
Submissions to Include:
Expectations of Speakers
- Title of Presentation
- Brief (max 50 word) Topic Summary for the Program
- Detailed (max 100 word) Topic Summary for website, press releases, and other marketing purposes
- Audience Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
- Speaker Biography (30-50 words) for our newsletter and promotional purposes
- Speaker’s full name, address, email, FAX and telephone numbers.
All MGC speakers will receive:
- All conference materials, including signed contract, program brochure and website content, and syllabus inserts, must be submitted on or before stated deadlines.
- Failure to meet conference deadlines is grounds for cancellation of the speaker contract.
- Sessions will begin and end promptly as scheduled.
- Lecture visuals will be in digital format and prepared on presentation software (e.g. PowerPoint).
- Syllabus material is required for every lecture presentation. Content should summarize the content of the class and/or supplement the lecture material (e.g. bibliography). Syllabus material should be between 2 and 4 pages per lecture.
- Acceptable formats are PDF (saved in high resolution), Word, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Speaker will provide website links, announcements, photos and other assistance in promoting MGC.
- Should the speaker not be able to participate, the speaker will notify MGC at the earliest possible opportunity so that a replacement can be found.
Distribution of Presentation Materials and Copyright Considerations
- Complimentary registration, with conference syllabus
- $150 per lecture honorarium for individual presentations
- Bonus for presenters who bring their own audio visual equipment
- Free lunch
Submission of Proposals
- Speakers retain copyright to all content and syllabus material.
- MGC will provide syllabus materials in printed form.
Speakers interested in presenting lecture presentations at MGC should submit proposals via email to Program Co-Director Philip Hermann at email@example.com with a copy to MGC President Polly Kimmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
31 January 2012 - Call for Papers deadline for submission
15 February 2012- Selection and notification of selected speakers
15 May 2012 - Deadline for syllabus materials (2-4 pages per lecture)
Questions or inquiries may be emailed to Program Co-Chair Philip Hermann at email@example.com or telephone 781.662.7249.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.