The following announcement was written by Calico Pie:
28th March, 2012. Calico Pie today announced the release of version 5 of Family Historian, one of the world's leading genealogy software products.
"Version 5 is a major step forward for Family Historian", says Simon Orde, managing director of Calico Pie. "We've added a powerful new tool for creating great-looking books & booklets. We've reworked and much improved our support for website generation and for creating family tree CDs and DVDs. We consider ourselves the world-leader for genealogy charts and diagrams, and we've taken that further and added a lot more great charting functionality in version 5. For example, there's a new tool for graphical relationship mapping which shows you in a diagram how any two people are related. We've also greatly improved data entry and data validation. We've added a lot of new features but at the same time worked hard to make the program look better, and be easier and nicer to use than ever.
"One feature that has already generated a lot of excitement, is version 5's built-in scripting tools. Many office products, and other kinds of products, have scripting tools - why not genealogy products? Scripting tools can be used to automate repetitive tasks, make extensive one-off changes that would otherwise be prohibitively time-consuming, or even to create new kinds of tools or new kinds of output. As one new version 5 user said yesterday: 'the possibilities are now simply endless'.
"The scripting tools can even be used to create new plugins - that is, new extensions to the program itself - which we can be shared with all users. We have created a new Plugin Store, which we host on the web. At time of writing, it already contains 33 plugins, supporting features like mapping using Google Maps, a timeline tool, a 'possible problem' report, a 'data-cleaning' tool to help with identity theft issues, an excellent 'search/replace' tool, and many more. The number is growing all the time. They're all free, and as access to the store is fully integrated into version 5, installing them is effortless.
"We believe that Family Historian is the only genealogy program to support scripting tools, the only one to support a Plugin Store, and the only one to support graphical relationship mapping. Just a few more items to add to the list of features that are unique to Family Historian."
To Learn More...
For full details and pictures of new features in version 5, please see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/features/whats-new-in-v5.
To view the Plugin Store, see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore, or to browse the full list of plugins, see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore/browse-all-plugins.
For an overview of the program, why not take the tour - at http://www.family-historian.co.uk/tour.
Family Historian has won numerous awards and accolades from reviewers - see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/reviews to learn more.
Quick Summary of New & Improved Features
- New tool for creating family tree books and booklets
- Much improved website generation and support for family tree CDs & DVDs
- New Fan Chart diagrams
- New 'flat' style All-Relatives diagram (much-requested)
- Improved data entry - especially with regard to date-handling and date validation
- New query for detecting possible errors with dates in existing records
- Enhanced 'How Related' tool shows graphically exactly how people are related
- Improved, more comprehensive backup-and-restore
- Improved import and export, including direct import from other program formats
- All reports have enhanced performance and features, including optionally an index
- Silhouettes can now be used in diagrams where required
- Much improved support for background pictures in diagrams
- Improved support for addresses (auto-complete on entry, centralized address management, improved formatting, a 'where-used' finder, and more)
- Much faster diagram loading
- New reports, including a new 'How-Related' report
- New tool for marking lines connecting individuals & branches in diagrams
- New 'shapes' toolbar for diagrams, including 'smart shapes' such as arrows
- Extensive new formatting options for diagrams
- New Publishing Tools Finder to make it easy to find the right tool to generate any kind of output
- Enhancements to the query capability for searching & analyzing records
- Built-in scripting tools (including integrated edit/debugger) which can be used to automate repetitive tasks, make extensive one-off changes, and much more
- Integrated access to a new Plugin Store, with numerous free plugins adding even more features - such as mapping and timelines - and more being added all the time
- Numerous improvements to make the program even easier and more enjoyable to use
- And much more...
Version 5 is available for purchase as a download from the Family Historian website at http://www.family-historian.co.uk/buy-now. It also possible to purchase the book "Getting the Most From Family Historian 5" from the same page.
The boxed version is available for purchase via resellers (see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/buy-now-sub/fh5-boxed). It will shortly be available for sale in Amazon - in the US and the UK.
It is also possible to purchase an upgrade from version 4 as a download (from the website) or on CD (from resellers).
Family Historian is published by Calico Pie Limited
Address: Calico Pie Limited, 7 Effingham Road Lee, London, SE12 8NZ, United Kingdom
If you enjoyed this article, Tweet it, share it on Facebook or on your preferred social network. Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds. I promise to never, ever send you any unrequested e-mail, other than newsletter updates.