GEDitCOM II is a genealogy application for Macintosh OS X that features ease-of-use editing of genealogy files, customization of the user experience, and power features allowing the greatest access to your genealogical data.
GEDitCOM II is a complete rewrite of GEDitCOM using Apple's Cocoa environment. It retains the philosophy of GEDitCOM to be a customizable genealogy application for editing and viewing GEDCOM genealogy files.
I wrote about version 1.6 last year. That article is still available at http://goo.gl/Eodqu. The new version 1.7 (build 4) mainly improves the script of generating a book using LaTeX including much better support for Unicode characters. A few other minor changes were made too:
- The script for generating books using LaTeX (from Book Style records) has several improvements:
- The book is now typeset (by default) using XeTeX, which allows complete support for Unicode characters and use of any font installed on your computer. See "Advanced" tab of previous Book Style records to activate this new feature.
- The book now includes many hyperlinks when viewing the PDF file on your computer.
- Some names did not appear in embedded trees and that issue is fixed.
- Sources were not listed in table of contents and chapter headings for index was wrong. Both issues are fixed.
- The method for attaching an individual to a family as a child (when they are not already in a family) has been simplified and improved. The link is done by clicking "Family" icons and you can now option-click to get the family record in one step.
- Fixed missing alert when changing place name in a place field for a place that is used in exactly one individual and one family. Before it would change them both without asking. Now it lets you know a change made in one of these records will affect more than one record and gives you a chance to change your mind.
GEDitCOM II version 1.7 requires an Intel processor and Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
GEDitCOM II sells for $64.99. Users of GEDitCOM version 3.82 or earlier can upgrade for $19.99. You can also download a free, time-limited version of GEDitCOM II. The download is a 100% functional version with a trial period of 15 days (which is refreshed for each new version). Try it with your own genealogy data. After the trial period, GEDitCOM II can still be used in a free "reader mode."
You can learn more or even download the application at http://www.geditcom.com/.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds.