Calibre is a great FREE e-book library manager, e-book reader and converter all in one. It’s the ideal companion to your Nook or other e-book reader. Books can be categorised manually and searched by author, year or genre. Books in multiple e-book formats are collated and listed as one entry so that you don’t see multiple copies of the same book. Calibre also makes it easy for users to find DRM (Digital Rights Management)-free e-books. Calibre program is cross-platform and runs on Windows, Macintosh and Linux. Also, iPhone users can access Calibre via Stanza.
I described Calibre in an earlier article still available at http://goo.gl/OrQqJ. Now the company that produces Calibre has released an updated version: 0.8.64.
The new version has added the following features:
- E-book viewer: Allow viewing images in the book in a separate pop-up window by right clicking on the image. Useful if you want to keep some image, like a map to the side while reading the book.
- Catalogs: Allow generation of catalogs in AZW3 format. Also add more powerful configuration options to exclude books and set prefixes. See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187298 for details.
- Generate a PDF version of the User Manual
Bug fixes have also been made:
- News download: Fix broken handling of nesting for HTML 5 tags when parsing with BeautifulSoup
- EPUB: Handle files in the EPUB that have semi-colons in their file names. This means in particular using URL escaping when creating the NCX as ADE cannot handle unescaped semi-colons in the NCX. Closes tickets: 1033665
- Conversion pipeline: Ignore unparseable CSS instead of erroring out on it. Closes tickets: 1034074
- When setting up a column coloring rule based on the languages column, allow entry of localized language names instead of only ISO codes
- Catalogs: Generate cover for mobi/azw3 catalogs
- Update the last modified column record of a book, whenever a format is added to the book.
- E-book viewer: Fix line scrolling stops at breaks option not working in paged mode. Closes tickets: 1033430
- MOBI Output: Fix ToC at start option having no effect when converting some input documents that have an out-of-spine ToC. Closes tickets: 1033656
- Catalog Generation: When generating EPUB/MOBI catalogs add more flexible rules for excluding books. Also add rules to customize the prefix characters used.
- Make setting published date using metadata search/replace more robust.
- Tag Browser: Flatten the display of sub-groups when sort by is not set to 'name'. Closes tickets: 1032746
- Fix isbn:false not matching if other identifiers are attached to the book.
Calibre version 0.8.64 also has added the following new news sources:
- eKundelek.pl by Artur Stachecki
- Sueddeutsche Mobil by Andreas Zeiser
Calibre version 0.8.64 also has improved the performance of the following news sources:
- The New Republic
- Metro UK
- FHM UK
For more information on Calibre, check out the Calibre web site at http://calibre-ebook.com/ and especially the help files at http://calibre-ebook.com//help. Further information may also be found on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibre_%28software%29.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others. Tweet it, share it on Google+, Facebook or on your preferred social network.
Republishing of this article in newsletters, blogs, and elsewhere is allowed and encouraged, with a few minor restrictions. Details may be found at http://goo.gl/hoHH1.
Of course, if you haven’t done so already, you should join my email newsletter mailing list to stay current on my latest articles and announcements. You can also cancel at any time within seconds.
You also might like to leave a comment below.