The reasons for deciding to buy a Mac over a PC are entirely personal, and your own pro-Mac arguments might not agree with someone else’s reasons. I made the switch several years ago and have no interest in going back. However, I will be the first to tell you that the choice of operating system is strictly personal, often for reasons we cannot explain easily. Just as some people like Fords while others prefer Chevrolets and still more want a Toyota, the choice of operating system is done for different reasons. Some people will want Windows, others prefer Macintosh, and a few will select Linux. Of course, there are also those tablet and smartphone operating systems: Android and Apple's iOS. I see no difference in the desktop and laptop systems of choice.
That said, there are a few things that Mac users generally enjoy that users of other operating systems might not, including unique features and a perceived superior user experience.
The free guide will show you:
- The various Macs on the market, and which is right for you.
- How to transfer files from your old PC to your new Mac.
- Getting to know the OS X user interface, from the dock to gestures to advanced settings.
- Installing software: how the Mac process is different from Windows.
- Bundled software and what it’s for, from iLife to Safari to iPhoto.
- What all those ports on your new Mac actually do.
You can also download an ePub or PDF version from the same web page (look in the upper right corner) or even purchase a Kindle version (for $1.99) from Amazon at http://goo.gl/qbz94.