To use FamilyGTG, a GEDCOM (Genealogical Data Communication) file first needs to be created elsewhere, typically on a desktop or laptop computer or downloaded from a cloud-based service where you keep your genealogy data. The GEDCOM file then needs to be placed anywhere on the SD card of the Android device using Bluetooth, copy via a USB cable, direct download from the web, or whatever else is supported by your Android device.
NOTE: If you are unfamiliar with GEDCOM files, see my earlier article of "GEDCOM Explained" at http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2008/08/gedcom-explaine.html.The FamilyGTG web site provides the following list of FamilyGTG features:
- Create new family tree directly from the device.
- Import GEDCOM genealogy files easily (GEDCOM Viewer) .
- Export family trees to GEDCOM files (send via email or store on device) .
- Add and remove family members, and set relations between them.
- Search family members by name.
- View member's full profile: relatives, personal info, and photo.
- Add, change, or remove member photos.
- Edit member information (name, birth, marriage details, note, etc.).
- Show descendants & ancestors tree for a specific member .
- Add a member to bookmarks list for easy reference later .
- Browse events calendar (birth, death) for each month . Today's events are highlighted.
- Browse family photo gallery.
- Show statistics about the family tree.
- Sample family tree can be optionally downloaded.
- Change app language. Available translations: English, German, Dutch, and Spanish.
- Free version app with no time limitation and ads-free.
 One active family at a time (check full version for unlimited families).GEDCOM (GEnealogical Data COMmunication) files can be created by any desktop software. Send the file to your device via any method: Bluetooth, ... etc. FamilyGTG then scans your device for any GEDCOM files (with .ged extention) so they can be imported.
 Limited export times for families with more than 200 members (check full version for unlimited export).
 Limited tree navigation (check full version for unlimited navigation).
 One bookmark (check full version for unlimited bookmarks).
 Limited calendar browsing (check full version for unlimited browsing).
The free version has limitations but serves as an excellent method of taking the program for a "test drive" before spending any money. If you like the program and decide to use it frequently, you will want to spend $3 for the full version that has no limitations.
You can learn more at http://www.familygtg.com as well as at the Google Play Store.