The following announcement was written by Forces War Records:
Forces War Records, military genealogy specialists, have exclusively released the World War II Italian Prisoner of War Camp nominal rolls for you to search online.
For anybody researching a Prisoner of War, this could prove to be a crucial source of information, perhaps offering a missing jigsaw piece to your genealogy puzzle. The newly transcribed records are likely to include: name, initials, rank service number, regiment/corps, and final Italian camp location. The vast and ever-growing Forces War Records database is cross-referenced — so you may even find out further nuggets of information from this one search.
During the Second World War, over 170,000 British Prisoners of War were captured by German and Italian forces, after defeats in France, North Africa and the Balkans. The majority of men were caught between 1940 and 1942 and then imprisoned in POW camps stretching from Nazi-occupied Poland to Italy. Over 75,000 of those that were held by Italy were recorded by the ‘Casualty (PW) Branch of the Directorate of Prisoners of War’ in London, during the war.
Because Forces War Records are constantly searching for rare lists and updating their data, this is the first time that records in this collection have been transcribed — now available to search online, from the comfort of your home.
The niche military genealogy site’s UK-based transcription team works with data from a variety of sources to unlock as much data as possible for anyone researching their family history.
Forces War Records gathered and transcribed the Italian Prisoner of War camps nominal rolls directly from the National Archives, under reference WO392/12 ‘Imperial Prisoners of War in Italy’. The military genealogy company is always delivering fresh information and releasing exclusive lists and nominal rolls, which could mean brand new insight for you.
Other exclusive collections Forces War Records hold include:
- British Jewry Book of Honour 1922
- Imperial prisoners of war held in Italy 1943
- Home Guard Officer Lists 1939-45
- Home Guard Auxiliary Units 1939-1945
- List of Etonians who served in the War 1914-1919 and 1939- 1945
- UK British & Commonwealth POWs Japanese camps 1939-45
- Bomber/Fighter Command Losses 1939-1945
- London County Council War Service 1914-18
- Cambridge University war list 1914-18
- Bomber Command Ruhr Offensive March –July 1943
- The Crimean War - Naval and Marines Medal Roll
- The India Medal (1895) Roll
- The Army of India Medal Roll 1799-1826
- The Kaffir Wars Medal Roll
- The South Africa Medal (1877) Roll
- The India General Service Medal (1854) roll
- Serving personnel on the 1861 census
- 1870s Military Discharges
- Royal Artillery 1877-81
- 2nd Afghan War 1878-80 Casualty Roll
- And others…
To see Forces War Records full collections list which holds more than 60 different collections and over five million name records visit: http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/collections/list/.