The following announcement was written by the folks at the New England Regional Genealogical Consortium, Inc.:
Navigating the Past: Sailing into the Future
13th New England Regional Genealogical Conference 15‐19 April 2015, Providence, Rhode Island
Presentation proposals are welcome by 1 March 2014 for the 13th New England Regional Genealogical Conference to be held 15-19 April 2015 in Providence, Rhode Island.
In keeping with our Conference theme, “Navigating the Past: Sailing into the Future,” successful lecture, workshop, Librarians and Teachers Day, and Technology Day proposals will address:
- New research methodologies and strategies, including technology and techniques;
- Ethnic genealogy -- all ethnicities welcomed;
- Maritime and military topics including privateers, pirates, and other sea-faring folk;
- New uses of sources (such as religious, civil, cemetery, military, and newspapers);
- Engaging youth in genealogy and history;
- Photography and family heirlooms;
- New England’s repositories (archives, libraries, historical societies);
- Successful research planning and project implementation;
- Family history writing and publishing;
- Librarians and Teachers Day topics (Wednesday only): educational and resource- centered presentations suitable for educators and librarians;
- Technology Day topics (Wednesday only): modern technology, internet, social media, high tech solutions, and apps for genealogy.
Preference will be given to topics related to our theme. Lecture sessions are one hour, including questions and answers. Lecturers must provide camera-ready syllabus material by 15 November 2014. NERGC also encourages proposals for 2-3 hour interactive workshops, especially on advanced research topics. Workshops are not included in the syllabus; presenters must provide interactive materials for their attendees at the conference.
Presenters may submit any number of proposals. Lecture presenters receive $225 per presentation plus a $25 bonus for submitting their syllabus materials on-time. Honoraria for workshop presenters is pro-rated based on the length of the session. All presenters receive a complimentary conference registration. NERGC does not cover travel, hotel, or per diem expenses.
Please include the following information with each one-page proposal. Submissions failing to contain the following information or to follow guidelines may not be considered:
- Title of lecture or workshop
- Brief but comprehensive outline or abstract connecting to Conference theme
- Short lecture summary (30 words or less) for Conference brochure
- Audience level: beginner, intermediate, advanced
- Audio/visual requirements
- Speaker’s full name, address, email, and telephone number
- Society or organization sponsorship (if applicable)
- Brief speaker biography (50 words or less) for Conference brochure
- Resumé of previous lecture experience
Email submissions to the Program Chairs on or before 1 March 2014:
Program Chairs – NERGC 2015
(Please put NERGC 2015 in the subject line)