I have written often about the need for genealogists and many others to make both on-site and off-site backups of their important data. Windows users have a dozen or more backup programs available that will save data to a local hard drive that plugs into the computer's USB connector. Macintosh owners have a great tool for on-site backups, called TimeMachine. iPhone, iPad, and Android have several backup programs also.
However, what should a computer owner use for off-site backups? How about backing up your Facebook photos and videos? One great tool is called iDrive. IDrive’s Backup provides a secure, encrypted place to store your data so you don’t have to worry about lost memories. It is safe and secure as your data is encrypted on transfer and storage with 256-bit AES encryption with the option of a user-defined key that is known only to you. Not even the iDrive employees can view your data.
The software is available free of charge, up to five gigabytes of data may be stored free of charge, and even larger storage space is available at prices that are cheaper than most competitive products. In fact, 150 gigabytes of storage space is available for only $24.75 per year. That's about $2 per month.
Quoting from the iDrive web site:
IDrive is a user-friendly, secure, and reliable application that performs automated online backup of your files and folders.
Note:You must first sign up to use iDrive.
The application safeguards your critical data in case of a system crash. The graphical interface is coupled with powerful scheduling and logging features.
- Incremental backups - only modified portions of files are backed up, thereby conserving bandwidth
- Data compression during transmission for quick backups
- Enhanced security with 128-bit SSL encryption on data transfers
- Network or mapped-drive backup support
- Automatic backup of critical data including the Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Music, Movies, and Pictures folders
- Locate files and folders backed up to your account and restore the same to your Mac desktop
- Snapshots allow you to retain changed data history over a period of time
- Provision to regulate the Internet bandwidth usage with the Bandwidth Throttle feature more
- Provision to perform interactive backups/restores or to schedule backups for a future date and time
- 'Automatic Power off' option after a scheduled backup - the machine shuts down automatically once data is backed up
You can learn more at the iDrive web site at https://www.idrive.com.