I would love to be able to reply to all of the e-mail messages I receive. I really do enjoy chatting with newsletter readers. However, I already sit at this computer for far too many hours each day! At some point, I have to say "no more."
Realistically, it is not possible for me to write a personal email reply to each message received. Sometimes I send "canned replies." At other times, I just give up, turn off the lights, and go to bed. That typically happens after 2 AM. The next morning, I am still facing all the backlog plus an additional 300 to 500 new messages received overnight, not counting spam.
I think my time is better spent on researching and writing articles for the newsletter where I hopefully can answer the questions of many people in one article.
When I do try to personally answer email messages, my response may be delayed for several days, depending upon the backlog of messages and my travel schedule.
NOTE: I always gratefully accept suggestions for new articles! If possible, my answer(s) will be seen a few days or weeks later in a new article at http://www.eogn.com.In short, I cannot answer any messages that:
- Request personal research help, advice, tips or guidance.
- Questions about computers: how to use computers, how to use software, etc.
- Requests for help to find specific web sites. (I suggest you instead look at Cyndi's List at http://www.cyndislist.com/.)
- Requests for help to find specific articles from past issues of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. (Instead, I suggest you use the search box near the top of the page at http://www.eogn.com or Google's excellent Advanced Search at http://www.google.com/advanced_search/. That's where I always look when someone asks me about a past newsletter article.)
- Questions about copying articles from Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter to re-publish elsewhere. (You probably already have permission. For details, look at http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/copyrights-and-other-lega.html.)
Toll free! Click on the above icon and then enter your name and your U.S. telephone number. The EOGN.com phone system will first call you. Once you answer, the same phone system will then call Dick Eastman and connect the two telephones together. This is a toll-free call for you.
Note: If Dick Eastman is not available, you will be connected to his voice mail.
You can also reach Dick Eastman by direct dialing his London, England telephone number (normal toll charges will apply):
+44 208 133 8002
You can call TOLL-FREE from anywhere in the world if you have the free Skype voice software installed on your computer. It is as easy as making a phone call although a Skype-to-Skype call is always free of charge, even if calling overseas! Simply click on the link above.
Skype software is available free of charge for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Apple iPhone, Android, and other operating systems. The software is free and the calls are free. Details may be found at http://www.skype.com.
If you have Skype software installed, click to call dickeastman on Skype.
A note to Skype users:
I don't use my computer for Skype as I have a dedicated telephone made just for Skype. It does not connect to my computer. Instead, it connects via wi-fi to my broadband Internet connection. I can also access Skype from my cell phone. Like regular telephones, my Skype phone is connected online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if my Internet connection is working. This is true even if my computer is turned off or if I am sleeping or if I am not at home.
Some Skype users will log on and see my status as "available" and yet I don't answer the call. That may be because the telephone in my home is powered on and available but I might be sleeping or not at home.
FAX: +1-209-254-4574 This old technology still works. Barely. This FAX number is a FAX-to-email service. If you send a FAX to that number, it appears in my email in-box.
Google+, FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networks: There are too many! I don't have time to check them all. I typically check in once every three or four months and won't see your message until then. If you want to contact me, use the email contact (above) or Skype or phone (also above).
- Dick Eastman