This Newsletter is Converting to Five Days a Week

Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter was launched in 1996 as a weekly publication. In 2004, I converted it to a daily publication and it has continued as such for the past 11 years. Admittedly, I have missed a (very) few days for vacations, travel commitments, hospitalizations, and an occasional day off. Most of the time, the newsletter has been published 7 days a week for 11 years.

I don’t remember why I decided to publish it 7 days a week. I think the decision was caused by poor planning on my part. Whatever the cause, working 7 days a week for 11 years has been a bit tiring! That’s more than 4,000 days with only an occasional day off! I have decided it is time for a change. I want to work like “regular folks.”

Starting now, Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter will be published five days a week most of the time.

In addition, I plan to take a day off on major U.S. holidays. There also may be a very few vacations, travel commitments, and other reasons for an occasional day off. However, I do expect to publish new articles almost every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Saturdays and Sundays, I am going to spend time for myself and with my family doing other things, mostly not related to genealogy.

I expect the format and the focus of the newsletter will remain unchanged. The total number of articles should remain about the same. The articles that would have been published over the weekend will now appear on Monday.

The weekly Plus Edition email messages will continue as before except they will be mailed every Monday with an occasional delay to Tuesday if I am traveling. Yes, I do plan to continue my travels as always.

I am looking forward to having weekends off!

68 Comments

Good for you! You do a great job, but we don’t need you 7 days a week.

Weekends are for family and taking a break. I couldn’t agree more!

I would like to thank you for your work all these years. I was remiss in not thanking
you. So happy you are going to start enjoying your family and friends. I love and look
forward to your articles. Most Sincerely, Margie

As a publication (where I live) used to state “and why not?”

Dick–I trust your work on our behalf, and it’s time you take some time off. Thanks for all the work you do. It needs to stay fun for you! Days off and vacations help to do that.

Doris

I’m sure as a computer man you know you can schedule your posts to upload as various times.
Which is what I thought you used to do.

Margarita Lacko May 8, 2015 at 9:05 am

Why did it take you so long to make this perfectly normal decision? Enjoy your free time!

Thank you so much for all you’ve done for us over the years. So glad you’re taking some time for YOU!

First, I would like to say thank you for your time, effort, and commitment. Next, I would like to add, It’s about time! Enjoy the this extra time with your family, friends, and well deserved rest.

I often wonder just how much time it takes for you to – find, write, check, report and upload each and every post. I know how long it would take me and I wonder what else you get done in your life!! I’m pleased and happy you will take more time for yourself and your loved ones from now on. I think it may be difficult for a time to NOT post each day, but I think all of us will understand and learn not to check in daily!! Enjoy you weekends from now on – or even a few weekdays if you choose to skip those days. We’ll adjust. Thanks for all those years of dedication. You are appreciated.

I regret to say that I did not even notice that you published mostly every day. Your decision makes perfect sense. I wonder why you didn’t do it a long time ago? Kudos on an awesome newsletter. I enjoy the genealogy topics as well as the technical stuff. Keep ’em comin’ – just less often!
Kind regards,
Penny

I applaud your decision. Thanks for the many articles

Enjoy your time off. As Penny says, “we will adjust.” You, and all the info you provide, are very much appreciated.

It’s about time.

Seven newsletters a week for 11 years, incredible! I agree 100% with your decision, spend more time with family and your other interests.

Good decision. All work and no play – not good – have done that and its hard on the family.

Ditto all the previous comments. Take the weekends off! All the more for us to read on Mondays.

Good decision, Dick! You deserve your weekends off. You doing a marvelous job keeping us all informed – thank you!

Excellent decision. It’s important to not let ourselves burn out.
You’ll have a huge sense of relief, I’m sure. I could never do what you’ve done for all this time. My hat’s off to you.

Along with so many others, I am delighted that you are at last allowing yourself to seek a much better work-life balance, and echo the expressions of gratitude we all have for your wonderfully informative and always interesting work on our behalf.

Good for you Dick!

margaretqclark@comcast.net May 9, 2015 at 5:00 am

Thank you for all the hard work you do. I’m glad you are taking time for your family and yourself. Enjoy your time off. It’s well deserved.

A very wise decision indeed. As a minister, I often find myself working on my time off. That is often because of unexpected events that pop up during the week. Hopefully you won’t find yourself in that situation. Thanks for all the interesting info you provide.

I commend your decision. I,too, thought you wrote them during the week and then released on the proper day. Seven days a week for 11 years!!! Wow. You deserve time to yourself and I hope you adjust to it easily.:}

The rest of the world has weekends off – why not you? Actually, during our working years (we are now retired) we also had several weeks holidays throughout the year – why not you? Numerous sayings indicate we should all take time to “smell the roses” – I for one think we should take more time for this and our families, because in the end that is all that matters. So Dick, enjoy your plans and schedule in some extra time off as well when it suits your needs – it is certainly deserved. As Bob said at the SLC dinner “you are much appreciated!”

You deserve a break like that to enjoy time with your family, which is very important. I thank you so much for your newsletter, as it has helped me tremendously in my research!

Thank you so much for your dedication! Hope your weekends are filled with lots of fun and relaxation!!

thank-you, thank-you, thank-you…for all you have done for us and will do in the future. time with family, friends and etc. is well deserved. blessings always….

Thank you for everything you do. I’ve learned so much from you over the years…not only about genealogy but also about technology, security, and privacy issues. Taking weekends off? Hell, yes!

A good move to spend more time with family and friends! The business blog I once did published just twice a week, and it required many hours of research and tech work. So the daily pace you’ve kept all these years is really amazing. Enjoy your time off, and thanks for all your hard work!

Well deserved. I posted a new movie review pretty much every day for well over two years when I started my own site. Then I was still posting 4-5 times per week. Now, four and a half years into it I am posting only 2-3 times per week. It just got to be too much of a grind, especially with a full time job.

I don’t know how you managed to continue an almost unbroken streak for 11 years. That’s a hell of an accomplishment and you should be proud.

Dick,
Meeting the self-imposed target of ‘Daily’ is quite a task, but I think most any realistic person would feel that that performance is NOT required – especially for a FREE Newsletter!
Other than the FREE use of the On-Line Databases, most everything else is not that timely.
And THANKS for all you’ve done and what your still willing to do for us.

Good for you, Dick. But, oh what will I read with my morning coffee now?

Well deserved!

Congratulations!

Even your readers may enjoy the new schedule – since you’ll pack the same weeks news into 5 instead of 7 issues. It seems like the right move.

The number of news items that fell on the weekend and couldn’t wait until Monday has been tiny. We’re with you for the long haul, so avoid burn out!

Thanks for the great newsletter.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this newsletter. I enjoy reading them. You deserve a break. Five days a week will give me plenty of information.

Excellent decision; enjoy life more – you only get one.

Good for you! I always enjoy all the information in your newletters and learn so much from them. It is the first email I read every day. I have always been amazed at the amount of information you share with your readers. It is clear you love the work and loving it 5 days is just as good as 7! All best wishes and thanks. Margaret

Ditto to all of the above.

No one deserves it more.

You produce such a prodigious amount of accurate information on genealogy and tech (and the occasional opinion) that is so useful and is often not found anywhere else. I hope you can stick to it and take some time for yourself. Thanks.

Good call! You do such amazing work. If there is one thing we learn from our ancestors is that life is about balance, whether they chose to or not is their story. I am so glad you are at long last going to have more balance in your life!
Lisa

It’s about time, Dick! Think I’ve been along for the ride since ’96 and you really have earned the time off. You’re family must be delighted! Enjoy!!!

A wise and well-deserved decision!

Kathleen Dennison May 9, 2015 at 11:43 am

Wonderful idea to take time for yourself! Heck, even cut back to three days a week. We’ll survive.

Evidently we all agree! Five days a week is plenty, Dick. Your newsletter is worth it, no matter how many times a week it comes. As a retired academic, I know how exhausting a work-every-day routine can be. So relax a bit, so you can keep us informed for many more years.

Great idea! Now I can catch up with all those “interesting info, read it later” newsletters I have stacked up! Let’s see–earliest February 2011!! Wave to the people in the airports and on the highway–and enjoy.

GREAT IDEA! Everyone deserves some time to live their lives! We will still enjoy your blog and newsletter fewer days a week.

Such commitment as you’ve exhibited for years has been above and beyond! Glad you are taking some normal down time.

You deserve some free time. Enjoy it!!

I have enjoyed every Eastman’s newsletter I have ever received, and have been grateful for the lifeline to the world of genealogy at a time when my own life has changed and my research time has diminished. Your information is always pertinent, highly useable, and so well-written. I will continue to be happy to read your newsletter, whenever it arrives, on whatever schedule works for your life. Thanks for your long dedication, and for gathering and disseminating such important information to our work. I also want to comment about how intelligent and articulate your newsletter members always are.

Double all previous comments. Thanks for all the great info through the years.
Enjoy your time with family and relaxing a bit!

I’m absolutely fine with your decision. Sometimes I don’t have time to read it everyday anyway. My decision to pay for a subscription is that I recognize that you put a lot of effort into researching and publishing your newsletter and you should be rewarded! People that receive your free newsletter get a bargain. I have received some really excellent information over the years. Thank you. Enjoy your time with family.

I love your newsletters including the paid subscription. No one else does it better. But, I agree with you. It’s time for re-assessing the use of your time, and I say, go for it.

Good for you! Everyone needs time off.

Mazel Tov!!! for a great decision. I subscribed to your newsletter years ago right after a genealogy friend in Australia told me in Miami about you. Enjoyed every issue and kept many. Looking forward to your presentation at the IAJGS conference in July. Safe travels. Joan Parker

Kathy Rosenkranz May 11, 2015 at 8:05 am

Thank you for everything that you do. It is appreciated!

Thanks for a great newsletter and thank goodness you are going to five days a week! You and I both need a rest 🙂
Dianne

‘Bout time!

I am with you, Dick. I have been with you since the beginning and you have been awesome, but reading your newsletter 7 days a week was hard for even me to keep up with. Thanks so much for all your work, and I am looking forward to the 5 days.

Scott W. Trent Jr. May 13, 2015 at 8:07 am

Sounds like a good plan to me….. as you age you do want to slow down. I know I do and have!!!! even on genealogy!!!

Thank you for all your work over the years. Your articles have helped me.

1996! Gosh time flies when your having fun! (grin)
On the other hand I’m sure you’ll continue writing the newsletter with all the great articles and just a wee bit of panache as you’ve always done.

Ruth Laban in Perth, Western Australia September 25, 2015 at 10:22 am

As we Australians would say, “Good on ya”. Thank you so very much for all the info on so many subjects that you’ve shared with us over the last eleven years. Grandchildren grow up all too fast and if you are always away working, they’ll never get to know you – and as a genealogist you can appreciate how awful that would be. Besides, I worry about you and hope your diabetes is staying under control. Do take care of yourself and take time out whenever you want it – you deserve it.

A wonderful and wise decision. We are all in your debt for the sustained hard work you have put in on our behalf, and no one could begrudge you a taste of family life and “me” time. Enjoy!