Ancestry.com announced last week that they will discontinue their Family Tree Maker software effective December 31, 2015. However, alternatives are available. In fact, Legacy Family Tree is one such alternative and is considered by many to be a better genealogy program than Family Tree Maker ever was. In fact, it is easy to export to export a Family Tree Maker database in GEDCOM format and then import it into Legacy Family Tree. The following is an extract from an article by Geoff Rasmussen in the Legacy Family Tree Blog:
We know this change is difficult (my very first genealogy software purchase was FTM…), yet know that you will enjoy Legacy Family Tree. Millions have already downloaded it.
How to Import a Family Tree Maker file into Legacy – 90 second video.
Why FTM users love Legacy
So many former FTM users have turned to Legacy, and we asked them why. Here were their top reasons:
- Company-user relationship, support
- Reasonable pricing and free updates
- Navigation and data entry
- Sourcing capabilities
- Name list
- View multiple databases side-by-side / drag-drop
- Web pages
Here’s the complete list with the users’ comments.
Special Legacy Pricing
- Free – Standard Edition. Millions have downloaded Legacy. Download here and import your FTM file in minutes.
- $10 off – through December 31, 2015, Legacy Deluxe (download-edition) is just $19.95. Click here to purchase.
If you ever need a little hand-holding, we are there to help. We are known for our quality and responsive technical support.
- Email: support@LegacyFamilyTree.com
- Support website: http://support.legacyfamilytree.com
- Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/LegacyUserGroup
- Legacy QuickTips and videos: http://familytreewebinars.com/legacy_videos.php