Leith is a district to the north of the city of Edinburgh. When local historian Fraser Parkinson was entrusted with a set of photographs showing Leith slums in the inter-war era, he knew they deserved to be shared with a wider audience. The incredible images were produced by the city authorities to show the slums of the old port prior to the ‘Edinburgh (Leith) Improvement Scheme of 1924’, which would see large swathes of the district vanish for good.
The collection focuses on addresses and streets in Leith which were later redeveloped, such as the Shore, Coburg Street, and Cables Wynd. The collection includes images of many of the residents of the area.
The collection has now been photographed by Edinburgh University and can be viewed by starting at https://goo.gl/aHMDYd.